Saturday, February 2, 2013

Farewell Grandma

My grandma made it to 93 yrs of age and was bright and cheeky to the last day (and that was her life long ambition). As my sister said at the memorial gathering - we were so lucky to have had such a wise, cheeky, smart and stoic grandma with us for our 40 something years. Not many people have grandparents when they're 40!

My grandma lived interstate, and I visited her when ever I went there. I was extremely blessed to be able to visit her 3 days before she died, and then to also be with her for her final 24 hrs. I then had the honour of facilitating her memorial service on behalf of the family.

My family and I could not have imagined a better ending for her chapter here on earth - she was content in her life, still reading, taking visitors, and enjoying the gardens around her. She did not want for anything, she was proud of all of us, and she still had all her faculties and capabilities. What more could one want?

Grandma, you will be missed here on earth, by family, friends and the strangers you did not yet meet. I know you are where you want to be now, and I know you will be smiling. As long as I remember you were just Grandma, but in your last week you mentioned Alan to me - and now I know you are with Poppa again. You have been a powerful influence in our lives, and for me, a great inspiration - encouraging me to experience life, value people, honour family, and continually learn. Your vocation was to care for other widows, and your generosity was testimony to your faith.  May I honour your life in mine.

Farewell.

5 comments:

skiourophile said...

I am very sorry for your loss - she sounds like a remarkable woman. You are very lucky to have had so many years with her.

Jeanie said...

Tamara, I am so very sorry for your loss -- she sounds like an amazing woman and I especially love the word "cheeky." I hope someone someday says I'm cheeky. And to have been able to spend time with her before she left was such a gift. It's amazing, isn't it, how deeply our grandparents become part of our lives. With you, I think, all the more so, since you had her so many more years than most of us do. It is clear that she left a great legacy for her family. And I'm sure she knew that legacy would continue with you. Sending you wishes of peace and healing.

Tamara said...

Thank you ladies for your lovely comments. She was a super grandma and I have learnt even more about her since she died. Amazing.

Robin said...

Tamara, I'm so sorry for your loss. This was a lovely tribute to a lovely lady and brought tears to my eyes. Hugs to you...

Bellezza said...

My grandmother died when she was 93 also. I think part of why they lived so long is because of the blessing they were in our lives. I can tell by the photograph how beautiful and special your Grandmother was. Just the kind one loves to snuggle up to.