Thursday, January 26, 2012

Australia Day 2012

January 26th is Australia Day, and what a better way to celebrate than to post about my recent trip to Adelaide to see the Aussie Cycling Team win the Tour Down Under (4th largest tour in the world, behin Tour de France, Giro d'italia and the tour of Spain (I think)).
It took us 2 days to drive to Adelaide across the Hay Plains. While my partner was driving, I was enjoying the scenery and history.
And while in Adelaide, we visited family and enjoyed the opportunity to watch the cycling races around the state.
 The Greenedge Boys taking the corner in Style..
(Greenedge is the first ever professional Australian Team and they won their first big Tour at home!)

We also joined in a community ride with 8,000 other cyclist - the chance to ride a complete stage of the Race - we rode 138km (+the 12 km to the start) of Race Stage 4, to raise money for cancer research. I really enjoyed the ride, that took me 6 1/2 hours of cycling, and felt terrific at the end ( surprised myself).

Now home, it's time to get back into other loves of my life... gardening, thinking, reading, and yet I must maintain my cycling training as I have another big ride coming up in March..

Posts to come soon ; Vintage Furniture, Japanese Lit Challenge review, and gardening plans.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

So, did you see parts of the Tour of Australia? We see bits on TV -- they've really cut the hours of cycling down and I miss it! Lucky you to see in person!