Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Sisters Keeper

After the reality of the atomic bomb in Nagasaki (my last book), I needed something fictional. I've always enjoyed Jodi's writing, and her books are good for reading on the trains (I do 2x 1 hour trips a day). I wasn't sure if I was ready for this one though. While fictional, the reality of family dynamics cant be overlooked. Yet, once I picked up this book I couldn't put it down.

There is so much in this story I connected with its hard to know where to start to reflect. Sisterhood is an amazing gift is in 1000's of ways, but perhaps the greatest pains in life are those we share with our sisters. Anna and Kate's story is a powerful picture of dependency and interdependency, which is reflected also in Julie and Izzy's relationship, and again in Sara and Zanes. The differences in each of these relationships reminds us of all the important reasons we love our sisters. For me, right now, I will cherish my sisters, and the relationship my mother has with hers, for this is integral in my being.

No comments: